21 Şubat 2013 Perşembe

Why I have a hard time being a “real American”

To contact us Click HERE


I’ve often wondered if being a Marxist isworth the trouble. It can certainly cause me to lose a job or certain friends. Afterall, if I made some compromises I might be able to just be a liberal andsupport the Democrats. I would be for more socially acceptable. I think peoplewould understand me better. Actually there really are no liberalsanymore. Ronald Reagan moved the political center to the far right and today noone questions it. The liberals I know will vote over one issue, such asabortion. Yes it is an important issue, but I will never need an abortion.There are other issues. I decided long ago that I needed somethingI could believe in. In my anarchist days it was easy to criticize everyone else’scountry, political beliefs or systems of government in general. Having asolution, even if it is not the best solution, is better than criticizing everyoneelse and offering no solutions of my own.Then there is the society we live in. Iwatch TV night after night to see commercials that show us what is important toAmericans—convenience we can buy, really big cars with all kinds of do-dadsthat show off our technical rewards of living here—computers that do everythingfor us—cell phones that do everything for us that our computer can do and more.The phones even tell us how to get around. We literally don’t have to think.The truth is I don’t need a real big car tomake me feel important. I like my computer, but why do I need to duplicate iton my phone? I personally use my phone as a phone and I’m fine with that. Ihave gotten around this town my whole life without any navigation system, so Ithink I will stick to the old way of getting around. There are poor people in the world and Ihave seen them on my trip to El Salvador,Nicaragua and the day I spentin Algiers, Morocco. These people don’t evenhave running water or electricity. To them, our way of life must seem like afar off fantasy. It seems most Americans never give these poor people a secondthought. Many Americans I have talked to would prefer to never leave thiscountry. They believe the entire universe they live in is within the borders ofthe U.S.For them, the outside world is a hostile place and unless enlisted in themilitary and traveling with soldiers, meeting those strange people is to beavoided. Many people I know would rather not have to think about the poorpeople in the third world, much less visit where they live.I have seen how the rest of the world livesand I can never forget that. When I see these commercials for hi-tech gadgetsavailable to Americans I have to wonder who people in such countries as Afghanistanfeel knowing such gadgets might as well be Lear jets. I see myself as a citizenof the world and feel that the people in poor countries have as much to teachus as we do for them. I have learned from the way people live in Europe and I feel that we Americans have really beenscammed by our corporate masters.I’m not like the Republicans who seem tohonestly believe the richer they are they happier they are. A lot of us who havestudied psychology and philosophy know this is often not the case. I am one ofthose who would like to be financially well off, but not ridiculously rich. Theattitude of nearly all our elected leaders today is “be self absorbed.” “Careonly about yourself.” “Make as much money as you can and whoever makes lessthan you, you have earned the right to look down on them.” Spite and hatredagainst the poor is understandable and to be expected. After all, they are lazydrains on OUR system. The rest of us have to work, unlike them thar liiiburuls.”For those of us who have spent part of ourlife poor and living among the poor, all these beliefs are insults. I can havenothing more than contempt for people who are not willing to try and understandthe people they so quick to criticize, such as poor people.Those are attitudes I can’t accept. I can’tbelieve that a country that puts more of its citizens behind bars than anyother country is really “the freest country in the world.” I can’t believe thatany U.S. soldier in Afghanistan orany where else is fighting for my freedom. It’s bull shit and I just can’t putany faith in a system so full of lies. -សáž�ិážœ អáž�ុ

LennyKravitz - American Woman

guess who-american woman

“I don’t need your war machine, I don’tneed your ghetto scene”



Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder